Issue #283 - 20 Dec 2021
|2021 in Review: A Year of Pushing New Frontiers|
In our review of 2020, we started by labelling the year “infamous” – it was fitting at the time but that now begs a question: how does 2021 compare to its predecessor in this respect? In any event, it feels as though 2020 and 2021 have melded into one long year of lockdowns and start-stops thanks to the ongoing pandemic. Looking back at the past 12 months we can proudly say, though, that the BMCC has made the best of the uncertain times – pushing new frontiers as we navigated the evolving operating environment to end the year with a string of achievements that reflected our commitment and passion to deliver the best proposition to our valued members.
Having pivoted online quickly at the start of the pandemic, the BMCC has gained much traction with our virtual activities since 2020 and continued to do well in this domain in 2021. We organised 47 events for the year, 45 of them digital. We kept up with the delivery of high-quality virtual B2B engagement initiatives, created new branding and profiling opportunities for members, and strengthened our industry advocacy work through consistent engagement with the government. In addition, we carried on as the delivery partner of the Department for International Trade to support the entry of UK businesses into Malaysia.
Here are some of the key BMCC highlights for 2021:
- As part of the Great for A Sustainable Future Campaign, we organised three green-themed events in March in collaboration with the British High Commission, Kuala Lumpur: the BMCC Energy Outlook 2021, Race to Zero Digital Conference and the UK Green Investment Landscape webinar with the Lord Mayor of City of London, Alderman William Russell.
- During Climate Action Week, we also launched the BMCC Climate Action Pledge to raise awareness about climate change and implement climate-related initiatives among organisations and businesses that have yet to commit to any climate-related goal. A total of 27 organisations from various industries have become pledge signatories to date.
- On the trade services side, we successfully organised two virtual trade missions from Wales and the Northern Powerhouse region to support and facilitate British exporters who are keen to do business in Malaysia.
|BMCC Christmas Networking 2021|
BMCC Christmas networking evening was held on 10 December – the first physical event for the BMCC in close to two years and the first members networking event to be hosted by our Chairman Abrar A. Anwar, who was appointed as BMCC Chairman in 2020. H.E Charles Hay MVO, the British High Commissioner to Malaysia was joined by BMCC board members on stage as he gave the Christmas toast and wished everyone a good and enjoyable holiday season. More than 140 members and guests turned up to network, expand their business contacts and to celebrate the year-end holiday season. It was a meaningful and fun get together to close another year of challenges and uncertainties.
So now it’s time to wind down this eventful year with some well-deserved rest and relaxation with family and friends. Despite the challenges, 2021 has been an exciting year and indeed the year of pushing new frontiers. To all our sponsors, partners, patrons, and loyal members that have supported us throughout the year, we would like to say a big “Thank You”!
In closing, we would like to invite our members to join us at our annual BMCC New Year’s Drinks on 13 January 2022, where we look forward to toasting to a great start to 2022 with our existing and new members.
Thank you from the Executive Team at BMCC!
May this Christmas season bring you great joy and all good things.
We wish you a safe and relaxing holiday season.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
*Kindly note that this will be the last issue of the newsletter for 2021 as we take a break for the holiday season.*
|BMCC New Year's Drinks 2022|
Join us in toasting to the new year with the British High Commissioner to Malaysia, our Board of Directors, and members at our customary New Year's Drinks 2022!
|Meet Professor Simon Guy | Prof-Vice Chancellor Global Lancaster University|
Professor Simon Guy began his career as an engineer before beginning his academic life pursuing studies in the humanities and cultural sociology. Situated within schools of architecture and planning, he has focussed upon sustainable urbanism where his interdisciplinary and international research connects architecture with urban planning, the property sector with utilities, academia with industry.
In this interview, Professor Guy shares that being a member of BMCC nurtured him to understand the policy developments between universities in UK and Malaysia tie with the internationalisation agenda.
We would like to extend our congratulations to the 10 selected UK delegates to participate in the Regional Virtual Green Trade Mission to Malaysia, Thailand & Vietnam!
- Blockdox Ltd is an all-in-one PropTech data analytics and insights platform that helps organisations foster a healthy indoor environment, save energy, and optimise their spaces.
- Easson Energy Group Ltd is an energy efficiency solutions provider with technologies like AI, SaaS and IoT devices.
- GreenEnco Ltd provides risk management, due diligence, and asset optimisation services in over 12 countries
- Hydro-C Ltd exports the UK made renewable solutions and products to customers including e-vehicles, backup battery systems for solar plants, solar panels, wind turbines, wind-based energy solutions.
- Marlec Engineering Ltd is a manufacturer and distributor of off-grid power systems including Solar Panels and Micro wind turbines.
- Quimera Energy Ltd is a smart building high tech engineering company delivering Energy Efficiency solutions to reduce Energy Consumption, reduce utility costs and reduce CO2 emissions.
- Ryse Energy Ltd is a UK manufacturer of small Wind Turbines and decentralised Renewable Energy Systems.
- StudioDS promotes sustainability and the importance of localism, offer high-quality expert architectural advice for all RIBA stages, from strategic analysis to creative design services to meet the needs for our changing future.
- Unifi ID Ltd delivers unique cutting-edge technology to make buildings smarter, enabling management to understand buildings better, reduce running costs, as well as enable the highest levels of safety and security.
- WondrWall Group vision is to make every home in the world ecologically sustainable, using self-learning technology and renewable energy to create ultra-efficient carbon net-zero homes to power a brighter future
|Updated COVID-19 Control and Prevention Measures|
We are hiring! Drop your resume and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org
|HSBC Amanah | Malaysia’s first Sustainability-Linked Sukuk|
HSBC Amanah acted as the sole Principal Adviser, Lead Arranger, Lead Manager and Shariah Adviser for Yinson’s Sukuk Wakalah Programme and Sustainability Structuring Agent for the Framework of the Programme. The transaction which represents Malaysia’s first Sustainability-Linked Sukuk attracted high-quality investor demand and was oversubscribed by 1.66 times.
The landmark issuance will be pivotal to supporting Yinson’s efforts to achieve its climate transition strategy and reinforce its commitment towards a low emission future by achieving carbon neutrality by 2030 and net-zero by 2050.
“HSBC Amanah’s partnership with Yinson reinforces our focus on supporting customers across industries in their transitions. Importantly, this is also a reflection of our commitment to supporting the Malaysian government in the development of the sustainable finance landscape while achieving the country’s sustainability ambitions”, said Raja Amir Shah, CEO, HSBC Amanah.
|Charterhouse Malaysia | Open Day Jan 2022|
Charterhouse Malaysia is one of the original 7 British schools.
Admissions are now open for A-Level and IGCSE students. Scholarships available for A-Levels, apply now until 31st January 2022.
Come and join our upcoming open day on Saturday, 15th January 2022. Meet our Leadership Team and discuss how our programme really will make your child(ren) Future Ready, and enjoy a tour with our founding students.
For more information, kindly contact us at:
Call: +03 2702 5270
|International School Programme | NCUK International Foundation Year Programme|
The NCUK International Foundation Year Programme is a 9-month foundation pathway in Science, Engineering, Business & Humanities Studies which will allow your child to enter and complete university a year ahead of their peers.
NCUK is an established international higher education qualification and service provider with over 30 years of experience. They have helped over 35,000 international students gain guaranteed access to leading worldwide universities.
The successful completion of International Foundation Year at Tenby Schools Setia Eco Park /Asia Pacific Schools guarantees you access to one of the NCUK Universities in Malaysia or anywhere in the world.
For more information on Science & Engineering here For more information on Business & Humanities here
|International School Programme | Covid Buster Programme for New Joiners|
Ask us about our Covid Buster Programme* for secondary students to find out how your child can enjoy uninterrupted learning today! Subsidies for new joiners await!
You have a choice. At Asia Pacific Schools, our secondary students receive excellent academic and pastoral support whether full online learning continues, face-to-face classes resume, or via our hybrid learning platform when the campus finally re-opens.
Learning never stops.
Let your child experience learning that is truly amazing.
Register your interest here
|International School Programme | Little VIP Covid Support Package|
Our Early Years students are so happy to be back in school!
They are so excited to see their friends and play safely within the school grounds. The little ones are ready for school and so are we! What about you, mummy and daddy?
At Tenby Schools, we ensure that we provide a safe and happy learning environment for your children. Ask us about our Little VIP Covid Support Package* to find out how your child can benefit from our subsidies today.
*T&Cs apply. Applicable to Early Years and Year 1 new joiners.
Register your interest here
|Sri KDU International School | Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards|
Sri KDU International School is very proud to announce the 2021 recipients of the Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards for the June 2021 examination series.
Nine (9) students received prestigious awards from Cambridge Assessment International Education.
The Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards recognise exceptional learner performance in Cambridge examinations. The primary purpose of these awards is to celebrate and recognise the success of high-performing Cambridge learners.
Congratulations to the students on this outstanding achievement!
|University of Reading Malaysia | April 2022 Intake|
UK Degree is now more accessible, flexible and affordable.
Apply now for the April 2022 intake and receive the 5% super early bird special.
Contact us for a virtual 1-to-1 consultation session via WhatsApp, Phone or Email. Check out our world-leading programmes that are designed to give you a career head start!
For more information, kindly contact us at:
Call: +607 2686 205
Whatsapp: +6016 7725 400
|Trans International Logistiks Sdn Bhd | Golden Bull Award 2021 Outstanding SME|
Congratulations to our Member!
Trans International Logistiks Sdn Bhd (TIL)winner for Outstanding SME in the Malaysia project logistics industry.
TIL is a Project Management Company (PMC) registered with the Malaysian Ministry of Finance (MOF), providing One-Stop End to End Solutions for the Capital Expenditure Industry.
TIL was also awarded the Malaysia Project Logistics Services Provider for the year 2019 by Frost & Sullivan based on their track records and unique services that they provide.
"All suitable assets like boats have been mobilised to help in the evacuation process of flood victims. I was given to understand that the number of army personnel has also been increased to help in this effort.
"So far, 4.5 million people have received their booster shots, but a large portion of the 4.5 million has been in Sarawak because the state government was pushing for it in preparation for the state election.
In a statement on Friday, Lord Frost said of recent talks over gaps between the UK and EU: "There has been some progress, but not as much, and not as quickly as we had hoped."